For the last year and a half I have been searching for the perfect savory stuffed pastry recipe to no avail. With each one I tried there was just some element of it that I didn't love. Some too nutty, some too dry, some too complicated. Finally I decided to try my hand at my own and I concocted a simple yet flavorful creation. The whole family loved this one. We were pleasantly surprised with the kiddos devoured it.
I also love that this one packs a nutritious punch (to offset the sinful pastry puff shell). No one in our family is a mushroom fan so I'm always trying to sneak them into recipes for the health benefits. Plus anytime I can get spinach in them, I silently cheer to myself. Since I am a big kid and pretty picky as well, I pre-chopped the mushrooms and spinach. If you aren't that way, to save time you can put them whole in the skillet.
It's moist without being mushy. It has a pleasant chewing texture and flavor. Depending on who you are serving and the occasion, I would serve with a honey dijon sauce or gravy for another level of flavor.
I learned how to make the braided loaf from this post by It Doesn't Taste like Chicken. She gives great step by step imagery and it's actually much easier and hard to mess up than it looks.
1 frozen pastry puff
½ cup dried lentils
2 cups vegetable broth
1 pint chopped white mushrooms
3 cups fresh spinach
1 flax egg
3 tbs vegan butter
3 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
Sea Salt to taste
1 tbs non-dairy milk
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small pot boil dried lentils in vegetable broth until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Set your pastry puff out to bring to room temperature.
4. In a skillet sauté butter and garlic until melted and fragrant. Then add mushrooms and cook until soft.
5. Add spinach to skillet and cook down.
6. While cooking, make flax egg.
7. In a mixing bowl combine cooked lentils, mushroom and spinach mixture, onion powder, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and flax egg.
8. Open pastry puff and cut slits in the right and left sides for braid.
9. Fill the middle of the pastry with your filling and criss cross left and right side to cover.
10. Place loaf on a baking sheet, brush with a little non-dairy milk, and bake for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked and golden brown.
To download the printable recipe PDF click here