The Best Sugar Cookie (GF/DF/Egg Free/Nut Free/Vegan)
You guys!!! I finally found it, after 2 1/2 years of being Plant Based I’ve tried a dozen sugar cookie recipes and there was always something off. Since baking cookies with the kiddos is a tradition we never miss, the dough has to hold up well enough for unskilled little hands. Also, since I’m often gifting them or bringing to different events being completely allergy friendly is really nice!
I’ve used this recipe three times now and as long as you follow it exactly, it’s fool proof!
DAIRY FREE - GLUTEN FREE -
EGG FREE - NUT FREE – VEGAN
½ cup earth balance butter stick (softened)
½ cup sugar (coconut, cane, raw, refined)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup bob’s red mill gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour
½ tbs cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1. Place butter (not melted, only softened) in mixing bowl and cream with mixer.
2. Add sugar, brown sugar, extract, and pumpkin puree and mix for about 1 minute or until well combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides.
3. In a sifter combine all dry ingredients and then sift over wet mixture.
4. Start mixer on low/stir for 15-30 seconds, then beat until well combined, being careful not to over mix. A dough will form but won’t be completely balled together.
5. Pour dough onto a sheet of cellophane wrap. Wrap up and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes up to 24 hours.
6. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Knead and roll out dough, cut shapes, and transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. If your dough starts to fall apart or the shapes start looking grainy, put back in the refrigerator for a bit.
8. For miniature sizes bake for exactly 6 minutes, for normal sized cookies, bake for exactly 9 minutes in the center of the oven. This will give you the softest cookies yet still sturdy enough to decorate.
9. Let fully cool and decorate!
* If nut allergy is not an issue, use Almond Extract for a next level flavor profile.
** If gluten allergy is not an issue, may substitute for all-purpose flour.
(They will come out exactly the same)
*** Only use Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour.