Simple Plant Based Crepes
Crepes, one of my first loves. Living in Sicily and traveling all over Western Europe with my parents as a young girl I was so fortunate to experience many cultured dreams but crepes are probably at the top of that list. The light and airy, fancy, cousin to the flapjack they can be dressed many ways and are always just so beautiful.
I discovered a simple way to make a plant based version and knew I had to share here. Once you get the hang of swirling your runny batter into a perfect circle they are really easy to make!
I stuffed these with a non-dairy cashew ricotta and topped with roasted dark sweet cherries. There are so many different filling options for these babies. Another one of my favorites is banana stuffed and drizzled with chocolate!
I made my own cashew ricotta because I had all the ingredients on hand and it’s rather simple. I normally use it in our lasagna and it’s phenomenal but on the crepes it was a little nutty. It was still delicious but I’m excited to try these next time with a store bought cream cheese or ricotta like from Kite Hill or Tofutti (both are excellent brands).
To make the ricotta I boil 1 cup of cashews for 15 minutes, then I let soak in the pot, lid on for about 2 hours. I blend together in a food processor with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt until fully combined and pate consistency.
For the fruit topping I roasted dark sweet cherries in the oven. If you’ve never roasted your fruit before you are missing out! It’s a whole new level of goodness. You just place your fruit (fresh or frozen) in any glass baking dish, drizzle some maple syrup over top, and roast at 350 until softened, about 10-15 minutes. For every 1 cup of fruit use 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener of choice. I typically use 100% pure maple syrup. For a little more pizazz add vanilla extract and cinnamon.
All berries, cherries, apples, pears, and peaches are simply amazing this way!!
You can use spelt flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and/or oat flour. I found that with the oat flour they held together better with just a little all purpose as well. This combination bulks up the nutrition and tones down the gluten so is my mix of choice.
Simple Plant Based Crepes
1 cup oat flour
½ cup all purpose flour
1 and ¾ cups water
1. Heat up medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat (I use level 6). Use cooking spray if needed.
2. In a mixing bowl combine flours together with a whisk.
3. Add about 1 ½ cups of water and whisk together until combined. If consistency seems a little thick, like pancake mixture add remaining ¼ cup of water.
4. Grab the skillet handle with your non-dominant hand, using a ladle, fill completely with mixture. As you pour the ladle onto the skillet using your dominant hand, pivot the pan in a circular motion to create one thin layer of mixture about the size of the pan.
5. Heat the first side for 2 minutes, at this point it should lift easily without breaking. Flip over and heat an additional 1 minute.
6. Stuff crepes with fillings of choice and enjoy!!